Strava publishes Year of Sport 2023: a report of the top trends in cycling and sport.
January 3, 2024 (11:51 CET)
Strava Report 2023… there is no end to the gravel ‘boom’.
Stravathe leading digital community of active people with more than 120 million athletes, has published this Wednesday Sports Year 2023a report that collects the main sports trends both in Spain and globally.
To produce this report, Strava conducted a global survey of 6,990 participants from both the global Strava community (over 120 million athletes) and a random sample of people active on and off the Strava platform, plus of activities published on Strava between October 1, 2022 and September 30, 2023.
The figures offer a new and unique insight into the trends that have shaped the world of physical activity and exploration, and anticipate what we might expect in 2024.
As for cycling, the platform has registered an increase especially in those more adventurous and off-road modes such as gravel or mountain biking.
Although running is still the leading sport on Strava, more and more users are encouraged to put on their jersey and get on the bike to add miles. This boom is even more evident in Spain, a country with a cycling tradition and sports destination for many fans of this sport, being above the global growth rates in terms of cycling.
The most representative data
- Gravel is in fashion: Gravel has been the sport with the most growth on the platform with an increase of 55% compared to the data of 2022. In Spain the growth soars to 71%, given that it is clear that the fashion for gravel has here to stay for good.
- Mallorca, cyclist’s paradise: Mallorca has become an ideal tourist destination for bicycle lovers. This is confirmed by the segment Review of the Ineos teamthe busiest segment in the world located in Can Singala, Mallorca and the segment Efforts Bartoli BA 13most visited segment in Spain, also in Mallorca.
- Climate change is also affecting our exercise habits: 75% of Strava athletes say extreme heat affected their training plans in 2023. 27% also cited poor air quality.
- The use of electric bicycles continues to grow: with a growth of 23% worldwide and 24% in Spain, the electric alternative to the conventional bicycle is increasingly present on the platform and more and more users they are encouraged to try them.
- Orbea, leading brand in Spain: The Basque company is ranked as the brand most used by Spaniards on Strava, followed by Trek and Specialized. Globally, the American brand Trek tops the ranking, followed by Specialized and Giant. In terms of synchronized devices, the leader both globally and in Spain is the Garmin Edge 530.
Strava is the leading digital community for active people, with more than 120 million athletes in more than 190 countries. The platform offers a global view of your active lifestyle, regardless of where you live, what sport you play or what device you use.
- Over 10 billion activities shared on Strava.
- Community members in over 190 countries.
- 40 million published activities per week.
- More than 30 million segments.
- Over 3,000 professional athletes on Strava.
- Almost 10,000 million kudos for and for our athletes last year.
- More than 10 million photos and videos shared per week.
- More than 3,200 partner organizations improve their communities thanks to Metro Strava.